Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Benefit Skincare Line

In the harsh winters of the Northeast, nothing irritates me more than dry skin on my face. I have normal skin, but a combination of cold wind outside and harsh heat blasting inside makes for very unhappy skin on my face. I'm always hunting for new facial skincare products and usually, after a few days, I find myself disappointed, unsatisfied and stuck with products I really wish I could return. 

Not the case here! I'm not going to lie; I was skeptical when I saw Benefit's new skincare line a few months ago. I love their makeup, but I wasn't too sure about their skincare products. Well, Benefit sure proved me wrong! I had tried a sample of the line, but it didn't last enough days for me to really test it out. I finally finished an awful skincare line (post to follow) and, armed with my Sephora coupon, I went out and got the "Foamingly Clean Facial Cleanser" and the "Triple Performing Facial Emulsion" and I am so glad I did!



Here are the specifics of the cleanser:

  • For all Skin Types
  • Main Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Peg-32, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Myristic Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-10, Linalool, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, BHT. N° 05419/N.
  • Sephora's description: "Formulated to work for all skin types, this facial wash effectively cleanses the skin and removes makeup and impurities with a soft, gentle lather."
  • 4.5 fl. oz. retails for $21
My thoughts:

  • As far as it being suitable for all skin types- maybe. For those who have dry skin, the cleanser is creamy enough to use without drying out your skin. For those that have oily skin, it honestly depends on how oily your skin is. I think this cleanser will be fine for you, unless you have excessively oily skin, in which case, you might be better off sticking to a facial cleanser made specifically for oily skin. The creamy consistency really keeps your skin moisturized and you don't that awful tugging sensation that many other cleansers leave behind because they strip the skin of its moisture. For me, it keeps my normal skin balanced- not too greasy and overly moisturized and not so strong that it strips all the moisture out of my skin. 
  • It's not heavily fragranced- it leaves a nice, clean scent behind that isn't overpowering but still smells refreshing. Also, this is great for those with sensitive skin- I have some sensitive areas on my cheeks and right under my eyes and this cleanser did not irritate those areas at all.
  • Size- $21 seems like a steep price for face wash, but, trust me, it's worth it! I literally use a pea-size amount and it is more than enough. I wash my face twice a day, have had this for a few weeks now and have barely made a dent in it.
  • Removes makeup and impurities- YES! There are days when I need extra Extra concealer, there are nights when I go super heavy on my eye makeup (including fake lashes) and this cleanser gets rid of ALL of it! It cleans out all of the concealer I piled on in the morning and it also gets eyelash glue off of my lash line painlessly. 
  • Tip!!- for a more thorough cleaning: I pair this cleanser with my nifty little "Scrublet" from the L'Oreal 360 face wash. The face wash great, but the little scrubber made it infinitely better and I kept it to use with all my other face washes. 
  • Final Verdict- A must have, especially for those of you have may have sensitive skin, because it is gentle, yet cleans so effectively that you are left with that awesomely FRESH feeling when you rinse it off; it smells great and you only have to use a little bit each time. 



Here are the specifics for the Facial Emulsion a.k.a the moisturizer
  • For all Skin Types
  • Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate) 7.49%; Avobenzone (Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane) 3.00%; Octocrylene 2.00%; Sulisobenzone (Benzophenone-4) 1.50%
  • Sephora's Description: "This lotion hydrates, protects, and comforts with its oil-free, lightweight formula. It contains an exclusive "tri-radiance complex" to help develop the skin's reserves of water. SPF 15 PA++ protects the skin against sun damage with a broad-spectrum blend of UVA and UVB filters."
  • 1.7 fl. oz. retails for $28 (pump bottle). 
My thoughts:
  • The product description says that it is an oil-free formula. Like the cleanser, again, I think it depends on how oily your skin is. I have two random oily patches around my nose and I didn't see them get oilier when I used this. However, those patches aren't excessively oily, so I can't say for sure how really oily skin will react to this. 
  • As for normal skin, this product is AMAZING. It absorbs easily but doesn't dry up; it moisturizes, but it doesn't leave a greasy film on top of your skin. 
  • For sensitive skin- again, AMAZING. I'm deathly afraid of premature wrinkles, so I always try to use daytime moisturizers with at least some SPF. However, those moisturizers ALWAYS irritate the sensitive skin under my eyes and on my cheeks- to the point that it burns. Not to mention the nasty sunblock smell those moisturizers tend to have. Not the case with this "emulsion"- it has the same fresh scent (no nasty sunblock!) and, my biggest selling point, IT DOESN'T STING!!! My fellow sensitive skin ladies- go out and get this right now!
  • For dry skin- again, AMAZING. It absorbs quickly, but it really does lock in moisture and leaves your skin feeling supple and fresh. If you want a more heavy duty moisturizer, go for the "Total Moisture Facial Cream" from this collection- it's velvety smooth and very, very rich- but, again, not greasy at all. 
  • As for the "tri-radiance complex"- not quite sure what this is. Does it matter? It works wonderfully whether the box has this fancy phrase on it or not. 
  • The price- is it worth it? If my excessive use of capital letters didn't tip you off already, yes, this absolutely worth the $28. It seems steep if you are used to using drug store brands, but, please, make the leap. Trust me, you'll love it! 
  • Final verdict- I don't think I need to even say it...but I will...GET IT.

Side note- I have tried samples of the "It's Potent! Eye Cream" and the "Refined Finish Facial Polish" exfoliator. As far as the eye cream goes, I don't like the fact that it comes in a jar. The cream loses its potency because the cream keeps getting exposed to the air and to your fingers or brush (bacteria, anyone?). The cream feels nice, very cooling and has a light cucumber scent. If they change the packaging, which I hope they will, then go for it. For now, I'd skip it. 

The exfoliator felt nice- the exfoliant is really fine and is not abrasive. I only had a tiny sample, so I didn't get to use it over an extended period like I did with the moisturizer and the cleanser. The next Sephora coupon I get is going towards the exfoliator because the very little I tried felt lovely!

Stay fabulous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment